A great place to work.
St Agnes’ Catholic Parish is a dynamic, not-for-profit organisation that has played an essential role in caring for, guiding and growing the local community of Port Macquarie since 1878. As one of the largest employers in the area, the drive for continuous improvement has created an innovative approach with opportunity for career progression and a range of benefits.
Home Companion - Full Time
*Up to $70,563.00 per year ($35.70 per hour) + shift & penalty allowances + Super +17.5% leave loading.
As a Home Companion you will build and develop meaningful relationships, truly getting to know each villager in your household and creating an environment that encourages people to maintain their personal identity, whilst feeling empowered and independent in their daily lives.
The rhythm of the day is defined by the residents, a move away from the more traditional model of care, so no two days are the same. At Emmaus Village the residents choose how they live, how they spend their time, and when they undertake activities such as meals or showering, supported by Home Companions as needed.
All meals are cooked fresh within each house by the residents and the Home Companion. Our Home Companions are self-managing and empowered, encouraging villagers to undertake activities of daily living and assisting and supporting them with normal daily tasks as required; preparation and cooking of all meals within the house, household cleaning and laundry, personal care and engaging in lifestyle activities.
As a Home Companion, you will collaborate with the Health and Wellness Team and the Dementia Support Consultant to provide high quality care and ensure our villagers live their best life.
There are full-time and part-time opportunities with a variety of morning, afternoon or night shifts across 7 days.
Successful applicants will participate in a 3-week induction program, specifically designed for Emmaus Village.
Great Employee Benefits
- *Competitive remuneration package – Up to $70,563.00 per year (FT), $35.71 per hour. (This illustration is based on full time 76hrs fortnight, utilising salary packaging benefit). Plus, shift and penalty allowances.
- Working for a reputable, longstanding, values-based organisation
- A commitment to providing a responsive and supportive work environment
- Salary Packaging options of up to $15,900 Tax Free, plus $2,650 Meals & Entertainment Card
- 17.5 % annual leave loading
- 9 weeks paid maternity leave
- An Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for you and your immediate family.
- As a corporate partner of Westpac, employees will have access to special offers, discounts and financial information.
- You will have access to great employee perks including Fitness Passport & discounted Allied Health Services, i.e., remedial massage, physiotherapy, exercise physiology etc.
- Paid professional learning and development
- Career advancement opportunities and study assistance for approved courses
- Generous employee referral program
What you’ll need
- Certificate III in Individual Support/Aged Care/Community Services (preferred)
- Experience working with aged people living with dementia or experience working with aged people or NDIS clients within their own homes (preferred)
- A willingness to learn about the various forms of dementia and how best to support your household and the residents
- The ability to self-manage your day – excellent time management and prioritisation skills required
- An energetic, positive attitude with a genuine interest in and compassion for aged people living with dementia
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build collaborative relationships with villagers, family members and village staff
- A flexible approach to supporting residents, balanced with good organisational skills and an ability to get things done
- An ability to cook (or willingness to learn)
- Intermediate computer skills and/or open to learning new technology
- A commitment to ongoing learning and development
- Commitment to work in harmony with Catholic Values and Principles
Express your interest.
Frequently asked questions.
Emmaus Village has been inspired by a range of best practice models, including the world-leading The Hogeweyk® model in the Netherlands. It is an innovative way to support people living with dementia in a state-of-the-art village environment. Staff will develop connections to residents and family members and assist residents to live as independently as possible. Clinical care will be delivered in a non-intrusive way at the Wellness Centre and not restricted to schedules. Working with residents’ individual desires and needs, no two days will be alike.
St Agnes’ Parish welcomes and supports staff and residents of all backgrounds and beliefs.
St Agnes’ Parish is one of the largest employers in Port Macquarie and have a strong reputation of support for their staff and local community. St Agnes’ Parish offer generous packages to staff such as salary packaging, Employee Assistance Program, fitness passport, discounts and partnerships. Details will be available for each role when applications are open.
By expressing your interest you’ll receive further information about the roles and advised when applications are open. You may wish to apply for more than one role and our team would be happy to discuss what may be right for you.
No, you do not need to be an Australian citizen, however, you must have the right to work in Australia